Sunday, April 12, 2009

What You Think is What You See

Background Knowledge

The Europeans had no firm background knowledge about North America. Nobody really knew what it looked like or how big it was. Therefore, it was possible the Northwest Passage could exist because nobody said it didn't.

Bias

The European explorers and monarch were biased in favour of the Northwest Passage because it suited their agenda and it matched with their goals.


Immediate Suggestions

Maps during this time showed the Northwest Passage existed. The dream of this passage would be gone when the reality of geography was found out. It was very hard for these explorers to believe the Northwest passage didn't exist.

In other words, there was a kind of feedback loop of false information. Maps that were wrong made people perceive there was a Northwest Passage to China. Look at page 225 of your textbook to find out what a feedback loop looks like.



Question

Answer each question in 3-5 sentences.

1. If the maps around you showed the existence of the Northwest Passage, would you believe it? Why? I can't believe it 100% because sometimes some points that the people five are not true. Some people think their ideas are right and they use their way to show their opinion to people like make the map. All the maps made by people,people can make it become true. In other word I also can believe in it because people can use facts or the vivid pictures to demonstrate their point like the map.

2. If you were John Cabot and someone told you the Northwest Passage didn't exist. What would you say? What would you feel? How would you react?

I would say you are so silly,the map shows the Northwest Passage is exist. How can you think it's not true and tell me the reason about your opinion. I would feel angry because I think the Northwest Passage is exist for a really long time. The person who against my thought would make me feel crazy with him. Maybe it would make me to use my life to find the truth.

3. Find a map by Humphrey Gilbert from 1582. What do you see in the picture? Explain.




This map looks different with other maps because it looks like a disc. This map made of lots of circle. There are many different shapes of the lands in the map. I see a part called circulus arcticus in the map.

4. Why did the Northwest Passage suit the goals (agenda) of the European explorers and monarchs?
Because the Northwest Passage is really useful. If the people can find this route it means so many rewards they can get. Maybe the Northwest Passage is really important to a explorer who want to have an exploration.

5. Feedback loops help us to see reality as a system. Can you think of an example of a feedback loop from your own life? Look at page 225 of your textbook to help you.
When I in middle school,one of my teacher always gave me lots of feedback that made me improve. When I finished an easy she read it and told me to add more emotion to make it better and wonderful. She always told me where I was wrong or where I was perfect. She used a right way to help me to study and improve. I think the feedback is really important to a country or a person who want to improve.

6. What did you learn so far about explorers and the colonization of Canada?
I learned about the John Cabot,Jacques Cartier and Christopher Columbus. All of them are very outstanding. St.Lawrence-Great Lakes area,St. John's,Newfoundland and Larbrador are the colonization of Canada.

1 comment:

  1. 11/12

    #6 is not a very thoughtful answer. Question 1-5 are excellent answers!

    What happened?

    (You broke my heart... :P)

    ReplyDelete